St Paul the Apostle Orthodox Church
24 Burke Road, Freehold, NJ 07728
732-780-3158
/ Weekly Message / Teach Me Lord
Teach Me Lord

Search this site

Free Search Engine Submission

Teach Me, Lord

In Psalm 119: 65 - 77 we find the psalmist giving high praise to God for his laws and commandments.

"You have done good to your servant, 0 Lord, according to your word. Teach me wisdom and knowledge, for in your commands I trust. Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I hold to your promise. You are good and bountiful, teach me your statutes. Though the proud forge lies against me, with all my heart I will observe your precepts. Their heart has become gross and fat; as for me, your law is my delight. It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn your statutes. The law of your mouth is to me more precious than thousands of gold and silver pieces. Your hands have made and fashioned me; give me discernment that I may learn your commands. Those who fear you shall see me and be glad because I hope in your word. I know, Lord, that your ordinances are just, and in your faithfulness you have afflicted me. Let your kindness comfort me according to your promise to your servants. Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your law is my delight."

Underline the sentences in the reading which include the word "good." How many times is the word "good" found? Would you use the word "good" when applying these sentences to your own life? Is God's discipline a welcome part of your life? What about constructive criticism from others, particularly your spiritual father? What is the reason some of the verses are sung at funerals?

Almighty and gracious God, I pray, let your merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to your word to your servant. Let your tender mercies come to me that I may live in fulfillment of your law which is my delight. Amen.

Free Search Engine Submission

©2014 St Paul The Apostle Orthodox Church. All rights reserved.