St Paul the Apostle Orthodox Church
24 Burke Road, Freehold, NJ 07728
732-780-3158
/ Weekly Message / Watch And Pray
Watch And Pray

Search this site

Watch And Pray

As we advance in our pilgrimage to Bethlehem and the coming in the flesh of the Lord among us, we often also think about the second coming of Christ. In Mark 13: 32 - 37, we find this emphasis brought forth.

As to the exact day or hour, no one knows it, neither the angels in heaven nor even the Son, but only the Father. Be constantly on watch! Stay awake! You do not know when the appointed time will come. It is like a man traveling abroad. He leaves home and places his servants in charge, each with his own task; and he orders the man at the gate to watch with a sharp eye. Look around you! You do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether at dusk, at midnight, when the rooster crows or at early dawn. Do not let him come suddenly and catch you asleep. What I say to you, I say to all: be on guard!

Why do you believe the eternal Father has kept the time of the second coming of Christ such a profound mystery? How does it enhance the richness of our spiritual life? What responsibilities do faithful Christians have in the meantime? What are some ways in which you can fulfill the words of Christ "take heed and watch"?

Order my footsteps by your word and make my heart

sincere. Let sin have no dominion, Lord, but keep

my conscience clear. Assist my soul, so apt to stray,

a stricter watch to keep. Should I ever forget your way, restore

your wandering sheep. Make me walk in your command

which is a delightful road. Do not

permit my head or heart or hands to

offend against the mercy of my God

Free Search Engine Submission

©2014 St Paul The Apostle Orthodox Church. All rights reserved.