St Paul the Apostle Orthodox Church
24 Burke Road, Freehold, NJ 07728
732-780-3158
/ Weekly Message / The Wise Virgins
The Wise Virgins

Search this site

The Wise Virgins

While among us in the flesh, our Lord told many parables to help demonstrate different truths and realities. In the parable of the Ten Virgins, (Matthew 25: 1 - 13), we find the Lord likening preparation for the kingdom of heaven to ten virgins.

"The reign of God can be likened to ten bridesmaids who took their torches and went out to welcome the groom. Five of them were foolish, while the other five were sensible. The foolish ones, taking their torches, brought no oil along, but the sensible ones took flasks of oil as well as their torches. The groom delayed his coming, so they all began to nod, then to fall asleep. At midnight, someone shouted, `The groom is here! Come out and greet him!' At the outcry all the virgins woke up and got their torches ready. The foolish ones said to the sensible, `Give us some of your oil. Our torches are going out.' But the sensible ones replied, `No, there may not be enough for you an us. You had better go to the dealers and buy yourselves some.' While they went off to buy it the groom arrived, and the ones who were ready went into the wedding with him. Then the door was barred. Later, the other bridesmaids came back. `Master, master!' they cried, `Open the door for us,' But he answered, `I tell you, I do not know you.' The moral is: keep your eyes open, for you know not the day or the hour.

What is it that separates the wise virgins from the foolish virgins? Whom are you more like? Is there a need in your life to have an extra flask of oil? How might you prepare yourself better for the coming of Christ among us? How much does the sacramental Mystery of Reconciliation figure in your preparation? How are you going to welcome the Bridegroom?

Free Search Engine Submission

©2014 St Paul The Apostle Orthodox Church. All rights reserved.